This topic explains how to configure deleted item retention for a mailbox database in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007. By default, deleted items are retained for 14 days.
For detailed steps about how to configure deleted item retention on a per-user basis, see How to Configure Deleted Item Retention for a User.
Before You Begin
To perform these procedures, the account you use must be delegated the following:
* Exchange Organization Administrator role
To use the Exchange Management Console to configure deleted item retention for a mailbox database
1. Open the Exchange Management Console.
2. In the console tree, expand Microsoft Exchange, then expand Server Configuration, and then select Mailbox.
3. On the Database Management tab in the work pane, expand the storage group that contains the mailbox database that you want to configure.
4. Right-click the database that you want to configure, and then select Properties.
5. Click the Limits tab.
6. In the Deletion settings area, enter the number of days to retain deleted items in Keep deleted item for (days).
7. Click OK to save the changes.
To use the Exchange Management Shell to configure the deleted item retention period
* Open the Exchange Management Shell and run the following command:
Set-MailboxDatabase <database_name> -DeletedItemRetention 7.00:00:00
Replace <database_name> with the name of the database being configured. Replace 7.00:00:00 with the number of days, hours, minutes, and seconds that you want for deleted item retention.