Benefits of Using Outlook Anywhere
There are several benefits to using Outlook Anywhere to enable Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 clients to access your Exchange messaging infrastructure. The benefits are as follows:
* Remote access to Exchange servers from the Internet.
* You can use the same URL and namespace that you use for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Web Access.
* You can use the same Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) server certificate that you use for both Outlook Web Access and Exchange ActiveSync.
* Unauthenticated requests from Outlook cannot access Exchange servers.
* Clients must trust the certification authority that issues the certificate.
* You do not have to use a virtual private network (VPN) to access Exchange servers across the Internet.
You must allow only port 443 through your firewall, because Outlook requests use HTTP over SSL. If you already use Outlook Web Access with SSL or Exchange ActiveSync with SSL, you do not have to open any additional ports from the Internet.