I have a new Windows 10 machine that is a fresh install. This machine has a single local user account with no password set. Each time the PC locks, or is restarted we hit ENTER to login (blank password) it asks to change the password. I hit enter a couple of times and it says the password was changed. I have not seen any relevant error codes looking at event viewer.
To help you disable the prompt when you sign in to the computer, please answer these questions:
- Before installing Windows 10, was the computer part of a workgroup?
- Are you using the same user profile from the previous Windows installation?
- Have you tried setting a different password? Does it also ask you to change it when the computer restarts?
Try the steps below to resolve the issue:
- Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Click OK if you get a prompt window.
- Type wmic UserAccount set PasswordExpires=False then press Enter.
Restart the computer after performing the steps and check if it will still ask you to change your password.