In this article, we’ll consider the installation, configuration, and activation of Remote Desktop Licensing role on Windows Server 2019/2016, as well as the installation and activation of the RDS client access licenses (CALs).
I remind that after the installation of Remote Desktop Session Host role, users can use it only for 120 days of a trial period, and users can’t connect to an RDS host afterward. According to Microsoft licensing scheme, all users or devices that used RDS features must be licensed. To register and issue remote desktop client access licenses (RDS CALs), there is a separate service in RDS role called Remote Desktop License Server.Contents:
- Installing the Remote Desktop Licensing Role on Windows Server 2019/2016
- Activating the RDS License Server on Windows Server
- RDS CALs: Types of Remote Desktop Client Access Licenses
- Installing RDS CALs on Windows Server 2016/2019
- How to Remove RDS CALs from a RD License Server?
- Specify a License Server Address on an RD Session Hosts
Installing the Remote Desktop Licensing Role on Windows Server 2019/2016
You can deploy the Remote Desktop License service on any domain server; it is not necessary to install it on one of the servers onthe RDSH farm.
Before you start the installation, add a new server to the Terminal Server License Servers domain group (or make sure you have the permission to change this group membership), otherwise the server won’t be able to issue RDS Per User CAL to the domain users.