I can’t connect to my WorkSpace by using the Amazon WorkSpaces client—how do I connect to my WorkSpace by using a Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) client?
Normally, you should connect to your WorkSpace by using the WorkSpaces client, but you might need to connect to a WorkSpace by using an RDP client for troubleshooting. To do this, you must update the WorkSpace security group settings to allow connections from the IP address of your RDP client.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Sign in to the Amazon WorkSpaces console.
- Select the WorkSpace, expand the details pane using the arrow, and then take note of the IP address under WorkSpace IP.
Note: The WorkSpace must be in a running state in order for the private IP address to appear. If the WorkSpace is stopped, the private IP address does not appear.
- Sign in to the Amazon EC2 console.
- From the left navigation pane, choose Network Interfaces.
- In the search box, type the IP address of the WorkSpace you noted earlier. Select the network interface associated with the IP address, and take note of the IP address in the Public IP column (if any).
- Open the link in the Security groups column.
- Choose the Inbound tab, and then choose Edit.
- Choose Add Rule, and create a rule with the following attributes:
Port Range: 3389
Source: Use the IP address(es) you will use to connect to the WorkSpace (for example, the public IP address of a remote machine, or the private IP address of another EC2 instance in the same VPC).
- Choose Save.
You should now be able to connect to the WorkSpace using RDP from the IP address(es) you specified. If you can’t connect to the WorkSpace, double-check the rule you added to the WorkSpace security group to be sure that the IP address you added is correct, and be sure that the WorkSpace has Internet access through an Internet Gateway.