The Slack desktop app is the easiest way to use Slack on Linux. To get started, take a look at the steps we’ve outlined below.
Step 1: Download the Slack app
At the moment we support Ubuntu, Fedora, and RHEL.UbuntuFedoraRHEL
Download the app from the Slack downloads page for Ubuntu
- Visit slack.com/downloads.
- Click Download .deb (64 bit) or Download .rpm (64-bit).
- Locate the file in your Downloads folder (the downloaded file name will begin with slack-desktop).
- Double click the file to view Slack in the Ubuntu Software Center.
- Click Install. You may need to enter the password you use to log in to Ubuntu.
- To run the app, search your computer for Slack, then double click the Slack icon.
Install Slack from the command line with snap
sudo snap install slack –classic
Step 2: Sign into your workspace
Follow the steps below to update the Slack app for your version of Linux.UbuntuFedora
Update Slack by entering these commands from the command line:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade slack-desktop