Some FTP programs don’t show hidden files such as .htaccess files by default. This guide will show how to show these files in the FTP clients Filezilla and WinSCP.
Please Note: Files are normally hidden for a reason and editing them can break things. Please be sure you know which files you are editing and if unsure, seek advice from a web developer.
Open the Filezilla FTP program.
- From the menu bar at the top of the screen select Server.
- Select Force showing hidden files.
- In the Remote Site panel on the right, you should now see all of your files including any hidden ones.
Open the WinSCP FTP program.
- From the menu bar at the top the screen select Options then Preferences.
- Select Panels from the left column.
- Tick to Show hidden files.
- In the panel on the right showing the remote site, you should now see all files including hidden ones.
That’s it! You now know how to show hidden files in FileZilla and WinSCP.