On your Chromebook, you can open, edit, download, and convert many Microsoft® Office files, such as Word, PowerPoint, or Excel files.
Important: Before you edit Office files, check that your Chromebook software is up to date.
Learn how to open & edit Office files
Option 1: Edit Office files on your Chromebook
You can edit most Microsoft® Office files on your Chromebook without the need to install any other apps, as long as you have the Office Editing for Docs, Sheets, and Slides extension.
- If you haven’t yet, download the Office file to your Chromebook.
- In the corner of your screen, click the Launcher .
- Find your file, and double-click it to open.
- Edit your file.
Tip: You can also convert your file to Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides and access all the collaboration features of Google’s Workspace products.
Work together on a file with others
You can convert Office files to Google Workspace to share them with others and work together to edit the content in real time.
- Edit your Office file.
- Save your file as Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- Share your file, then begin to work with others.
Tip: Any updates made to the Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides file won’t carry over to the original Office file.